Let’s face it: living in a small space can be a challenge. Whether you reside in a tiny apartment in New York City or rent a home that has limited storage space, there are certain tricks that you can easily implement to help make your home beautiful, and most importantly, functional. Here are our top five tips to decorate a small apartment.
1. Choose the best layout for your space. The layout of your apartment should be two things – aesthetically pleasing and practical. If you live in a studio apartment, make sure to keep your bedroom and living areas separate; this is especially important for entertaining purposes, of course!
2. Add a pop of color. Paint the walls a bright and vivid color. We recommend a simple hue. Not only does painting give you more flexibility when decorating with bold colors, but it also creates a more open and relaxed space for you and your guests to enjoy. Our favorite paint colors are Simply White by Benjamin Moore and Wool Skein by Sherwin-Williams.
3. Select multi-purpose pieces. Furniture that doubles as storage space is a well-kept Havenly secret. Our designers recommend purchasing ottomans with a storage compartment, where you can hide extra bedding, as well as bookshelves that double as storage space for your wardrobe necessities. For optimal space, look into investing in a bed frame that doubles as a storage unit…you can thank us later!
4. Decorate with mirrors. Living in a small space can feel claustrophobic at times, especially if the apartment does not come well-equipped with natural light! In order to alleviate this problem, try hanging a few mirrors around your apartment. The mirrors’ reflection can make a space feel twice as big, even in a 500 square foot apartment.
5. Hang curtains. Installing curtains is one of the easiest and most convenient ways to make your ceilings appear taller. Choose a fun pattern to promote a contemporary feel, or a subtle linen curtain for a more calming ambiance.
Have you tried any of these tricks to decorate a small apartment? Tell us how you #getdecorated in the comment section!