With Apple putting a big spotlight on its smart home efforts last week, the Havenly team has created a beautifully designed living room featuring the latest, design-friendly Apple HomeKit enabled devices. New smart technology is enhancing the comfort and convenience of the spaces we live in, and with design-friendly HomeKit options, you don’t have to jeopardize quality interior design to include technology in your home.
How to Get Techy (but Beautiful) at Home
Havenly’s Director of Design, Shelby Girard, created a room design that makes a statement: functional technology really can pair well with the decor in your home. This room design features a number of our favorite Apple HomeKit enabled devices (some meant to blend in and others to stand out), including the Nanoleaf Ivy Smarter Kit Light Bulbs, iHome Control Smart Plug, Ecobee4 Smart Wifi Thermostat and the Symphony Ceiling Fan by Hunter Fan.
In order to jumpstart your Apple smart home, with an eye on design, because Havenly and Apple truly believe in the power of improving your home with design and technology, we’ve created a list of what to consider when designing your home with a more “techy” approach:
- There is a growing ecosystem of HomeKit enabled devices, so it’s important to find the right products for your home. Start by identifying your needs. Do you forget to turn off the lights? Does your home get too hot from the afternoon sun while you’re at work? Is your electricity bill too high for your budget?
- Find a balance between analog and digital. Not only do you want to make sure you’re utilizing all of your new products, but you want to ensure that the room isn’t overcrowded, which can jeopardize the comfort of your space.
- For wall devices, try to select a device as close to your wall color as possible. These products should serve a more functional purpose and blend in with the space, not be a distraction. Apple’s The iHome Control Smart Plug is a great example of a plug that can be both attractive and useful.
- Embrace wireless devices as much as possible. When you go wireless, you have no ugly cords to try and hide!
- There are very few things more important than good lighting in a home. Smart light bulbs and switches will allow you to control the lighting of your room at all times, so you can increase or decrease the light depending on your mood or the time of day. With the Nanoleaf Ivy Smarter Kit, your lighting can both look chic and be controlled conveniently using Siri on your iPhone or iPad — and that is pretty cool.
- Let your thermostat be a statement piece – gone are the days of bland and undesigned thermostats. Don’t be shy to mount yours front and center, even against a vibrantly colored accent wall (as in Havenly’s design). We chose the Ecobee4 Smart Wifi Thermostat in our design because the sleek product matches the room’s style and can be controlled using Apple’s Home app or even Siri.
HomeKit enabled smart devices from Apple HomeKit will help you feel more in control of your environment, including multiple ways to engage using the Apple Home app or Siri on your iPhone or iPad, or even with Apple Watch or your Apple TV Remote. The Home app also lets you create convenient scenes, groups of devices working together, for any number of common scenarios, such as waking up, leaving home or getting the house read for a party. Which, we promise, feels really, really good. Give it a try!
And, of course, Havenly is here to help style your home with the latest and greatest HomeKit enabled accessories. Talk to a Havenly interior designer for free with Design Quickie.
The Products Used
You can view/shop all furniture from the Apple HomeKit design HERE. Also, be sure to check out all of the smart products featured in our design, below:
Nanoleaf Ivy Smarter Kit – $99.95
iHome Control Smart Plug – $39.95
Symphony Ceiling Fan – $299